The court did not consider Trump's complaint. He must pay $5 million to the victim
The decision leaves the civil jury’s unanimous verdict final, ending Trump’s ability to challenge that case in any court.
Monday, 17 August 2026 20:13

The US Supreme Court on Monday declined for a second time to hear President Donald Trump’s bid to overturn a federal civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E Jean Carroll.
The decision was posted as part of an order list and gave no explanation, BBC News reported. The court had already denied a prior attempt by Trump to review the civil case in June.
“We are pleased that the United States Supreme Court has declined again to hear this case,” Carroll’s attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said. “As a result, the jury's unanimous verdict that Donald Trump sexually assaulted and then defamed E. Jean Carroll is now final and cannot be challenged in any court.”
Trump has long denied wrongdoing in the case. He argued that the trial judge improperly allowed evidence that affected jurors’ perceptions of him, including 2005 Access Hollywood footage in which he used crude language while discussing groping and kissing women. He had not yet commented on the latest decision.
Carroll, a former magazine columnist who is now 82, sued Trump over an attack in a Manhattan department store dressing room in the mid-1990s. The defamation claim stemmed from a 2022 Truth Social post in which Trump denied her claims and said she was “not my type”. Trump paid Carroll more than $5m (£3.6m) in damages in July.
After the earlier June decision, Trump said on Truth Social that he would keep fighting what he called the “weaponisation and lawfare case” and the “ridiculous” defamation claim. “This Case is really against the United States of America, and all it stands for, and should never be allowed to happen to another President, or Candidate to be,” he wrote.
Support nwsTrail
nwsTrail is an independent global news site. Your support helps keep the content free and independent.