Indian arrested over U.S. elder fraud case
Nine victims aged 59 to 87 lost about $7.5 million, and the charges carry a maximum prison term of 20 years.
Saturday, 22 August 2026 09:13

Indian national Jay Sunilbharthi Goswami was arrested on August 20 in Canada after U.S. authorities charged him over an alleged multi-million-dollar fraud scheme targeting elderly victims in the United States.
The case, reported by The Hindu from New York and attributed to PTI, identifies Goswami, 21, as a Gujarat native who lived in Jersey City, New Jersey. He faces a criminal complaint charging wire fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering.
U.S. Attorney Michael DiGiacomo said Friday, August 21, “The charges carry a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.” Goswami appeared before U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Pedersen on August 17 and was released under conditions.
A day later, Goswami crossed into Canada. Law enforcement learned he had booked an August 18 evening flight from Toronto to Doha, Qatar, and Canadian authorities detained him at Toronto Pearson International Airport after a U.S. request for provisional arrest pending extradition.
According to the criminal complaint, the IRS Criminal Investigation Division learned in January 2026 of an internet- and telephone-based fraud scheme targeting elderly victims in the Western District of New York and elsewhere in the U.S. Perpetrators allegedly told victims their bank accounts, funds or personal information had been compromised, then persuaded them to liquidate assets into cash, gold or gift cards.
The Justice Department said conspirators used “money mules” to collect cash and gold from victims and deliver the valuables to other members of the conspiracy. Goswami allegedly acted as a “money mule” and personally collected or conspired to collect cash and gold from elderly victims in New York and New Jersey on at least nine occasions; the nine victims, aged 59 to 87, lost about $7.5 million in total. The complaint also says he opened a U.S. bank account and deposited more than $90,000 in cash between August 1, 2025, and April 6, 2026, which investigators believe matched payments for his alleged role.
Support nwsTrail
nwsTrail is an independent global news site. Your support helps keep the content free and independent.



