Japan plans tourism aid for quake-hit Kyushu
The planned package could cut travel fees and direct sightseeing demand toward reconstruction while officials weigh support for regional livelihoods.
pühapäev, 23. august 2026 10:23
Japan's government will include tourism support for quake-hit Kyushu, including Kumamoto Prefecture, in an aid package due this month, Chief Cabinet Secretary Minoru Kihara said Saturday in Kumamoto, The Japan Times reported.
The Kyushu region was hit hard by last month’s massive earthquake. A government source said the package will feature a travel fee discount campaign for the region.
“We want to carry out promotion efforts to help attract visitors to the whole Kyushu region,” Kihara told reporters in the city of Kumamoto. “We’ll include concrete plans to inspire sightseeing demand for reconstruction.”
Kihara, who is from Kumamoto Prefecture, visited disaster-affected areas in the prefecture for the first time since the July 28 quake. The quake measured up to shindo 7, the highest level on Japan’s seismic intensity scale.
During his visit from Friday, Kihara inspected the Aeon Mall Kumamoto shopping facility, where a fatal blast occurred following the temblor, and Kumamoto Castle, where a stone wall was damaged.
“We need to deeply consider how we can protect livelihoods in the region, not only how to restore infrastructure,” Kihara said.
Toeta nwsTraili
nwsTrail on sõltumatu välisuudiste veebileht. Sinu toetus aitab hoida sisu tasuta.



